Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Can't Always Get What We Want...

I know you're probably expecting this blog to be about Peace Corps stuff and it is, but obviously every waking moment isn't consumed by it (or is it...). There are some far more important matters that I think deserve some discussion/blog time.

Namely this:

This squirrel won't stop stealing food from my bird feeders! I'm dead serious. You can see the food he's clutching right there in his left hand, that's MY bird food that I put out for the local birds, NOT Steve the Squirrel and his rowdy Squirrel friends!! I'm calling this squirrel Steve because I like to use alliteration when I name things, but I'm pretty sure him and at least TWO other squirrels make it their business to see who can find a way to get the bird seed out every day. So far, Steve's destroyed two of my feeders and eaten two of my bird food cakes by finding ways to open the feeder. Here's how it happened:

The first feeders I bought were a mesh sock filled with food and a cage thing that holds bird food cake. Steve immediately chewed the string off the mesh sock so it fell off the tree and chewed a hole in it to take and eat the seeds. He then proceeded to open up the cage feeder causing the cake to fall out so he could tackle and eat it. Don't believe me?

There he is opening it with his hands.
"HAHA I got you, you wretched seed cake!"

"If I creep like this, no one will see me..."

"Oh no I've been caught!"

More evidence of Steve's selfish pillaging:


We all see squirrels every day. They are a quick, skittish animal that scurries about gathering nuts and whatever else squirrels do. But when's the last time you saw one laying down just chillin'? Or sleeping even? Well it appears my bird feeders have made life so good for Old Steve, that he does just that right in my backyard.

Rest your head little baby. I know ripping your sharp, rodent teeth into my bird feeders is hard work.

I was at a nursery today and I'm pretty damn sure this latest feeder I got no squirrel could ever penetrate. EEheeeheeheeheehee!

We shall see...

5 comments:

  1. i love squirrels.
    and i love you.
    but i would like to see you and this squirrel fight it out to the death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so funny. im sorry Steve the Squirrel is ruining your attempts to feed local birds. I hope the new feeder is more successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M watching YOU, Ash... via this blog.

    ReplyDelete