Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Celebration

First, congrats to Avi on becoming Grad School student body president! Woo hoo!

Now, the bidness. There's a Peace Corps event recognizing new nominees and invitees that starts in about an hour. I'm expecting lots of nerdy white newly-grads with a zest for life. Will let you know how it goes when I get back.

Bridge leadin' to DC

Update: Now that LOST is over, I can reveal the grand mystery that was this Peace Corps event. First of all, they sent me an invite in the mail saying there was an "event" for nominees and invitees, but they didn't go into any detail so I didn't know what to expect. But it wasn't much at all they were just like "Welcome!" and I got a neat bag and luggage tag that said "Peace Corps" on it. And there was a little segment at the end where you could talk to nominees/invitees going to the same region as you. Unsurprisingly, it was overwhelmingly white, but less nerdy than I anticipated. But surprisingly, I met a girl named Takia who is going to Burkina Faso on the SAME day and is in the SAME program as me and who I already met before at a get together Sham threw last summer. This was a pleasant surprise. She is the one person I know now going into this process in Burkina now. She also brought to my attention how out of the loop I am with this stuff. Apparently there's like a Facebook group and all these networks and webrings and stuff I don't know about. Other than the Facebook group, though I don't think I will join these things. I'm already antsy about people who see my blog although there's nothing really awesome about it. I'd like to keep it private and not put it on a Peace Corps journal site, when I'm not sure yet where I fit in.

5 comments:

  1. yay i'm in one of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you sure are, Anonymous! You mysterious lurker you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by mysterious lurker I mean Avi lol. That took me a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. i COULD be Takia.... you don't know

    also i agree to not joining the multitude of PC groups

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, so which one are you? This is creeping me out now lol!

    ReplyDelete